The on-line application form is live in beta test mode. You may experience unanticipated problems with it. If you do, please contact email@example.com.
The following application form allows you to enter a partial application, Save and Continue Later. This feature will send a link to you by email that allows you to upload some documents and then continue another time after saving your submitted information. If you have any questions please contact your local Sar-El Representative or our Montreal or Toronto Offices.
First time volunteers:
- Must arrange for a personal interview with the Toronto or Montreal offices or with a regional Sar-El Canada representative.
- Require a letter of reference from a rabbi, another recognized community leader or a former Sar-El Volunteer.
APPLICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO ISRAEL DEFENCE FORCE (IDF) SECURITY CLEARANCE
SAR-EL CANADA RESERVES THE RIGHT, AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION,
TO ACCEPT OR NOT TO ACCEPT ANY APPLICANT
- Your passport number and other personal information will be sent to Sar-El Israel and shared with the IDF for security clearance.
- Applications must be received at least 6 weeks prior to the start date.
- You must submit a non-refundable $140 ($90 for students) fee to Sar-El Canada by cheque, payable to Sar-El Canada or via Interac email Transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be asked to upload scanned documents including:
- A clear copy of the picture page of your passport.*
- The Sar-El medical certificate completed and signed by your doctor.*
- Proof of medical insurance.*
- If this is your first time, a letter of recommendation from your rabbi, another recognized community leader or a former Sar-El Canada Volunteer.
- Proof of full covid-19 vaccination status.*
You may find it helpful to scan and save the required documents before beginning the application.
Make Three (3) paper copies of the documents with an asterisk*: two (2) for Sar-El in Israel when you join your group, and one (1) to keep with you in Israel.
If you only have some of the required documents you may start the form and complete it at a later date.
While we will accept an expired passport for your IDF security clearance however you must travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months after your return.
If you require a new passport, please submit your existing (even if expired) passport with your application form and your new passport when you receive it.
If you don’t have a document scanner you may be able to use your smartphone or tablet to photograph and upload the documents. You may also send paper copies (not originals) of the necessary documents to our Montreal or Toronto offices where they can be scanned and uploaded for you. Sar-El Canada makes every effort to safeguard your personal information and we do not recommend sending sensitive information via email.
Be sure to read and understand the Key Planning Tips and Program Dates You must arrange your own air transport, holiday and weekend (Thursday night to Sunday Morning) accommodations.
Do not make non-refundable reservations until you are assured of acceptance into the program.
Check with Sar-El Canada for an appropriate scheduled program date and note that all programs start on Sunday.
To be met by a Sar-El representative you must be at Ben Gurion (Tel Aviv) airport before Noon on the Sunday of the scheduled program start date. Depending on your arrival time, be prepared for a lengthy wait.
If you arrive on other days, or at other times, you will not be met and will be responsible for looking after yourself until Sar-El arranges to meet you on a Sunday.
Programs normally end after work on Thursday of the third week, but arrangements can be made to end after work on the second Thursday. Don’t book a return flight before 8:30 PM Thursday evening to allow time after the program to get to the airport.
After acceptance into the program, submit your Ben Gurion (Tel Aviv) arrival flight information: airline, flight number, date and time.
You are required to have adequate health insurance. Sar-El provides no hospital/medical insurance coverage for volunteers, whether on or off the base. So, if necessary, purchase appropriate additional coverage, since adequate health insurance is essential.
Canadian Medicare coverage, alone, is not adequate. You must show proof of coverage (three copies please) when you join your group in Israel. You cannot enter the program without such insurance proof.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF ALL CURRENT COVID RELATED REQUIREMENTS REGARDING QUARANTINES, PREFLIGHT AND POST FLIGHT COVID TESTING ETC. IN CANADA AND IN ISRAEL. SAR-EL CANADA TAKES NO RESPONSINILTY FOR ENSURING THAT YOU MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS (WHICH ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING). PLEASE DISCUSS WITH THE TORONTO OR MONTREAL OFFICES BEFORE BOOKING ANY NON-REFUNDABLE AIRFARE, HOTELS, INSURANCE ETC.
You must have at least a clear, scanned copy of your passport (current or recently expired) to begin.