PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF ALL CURRENT COVID RELATED REQUIREMENTS REGARDING QUARANTINES, PREFLIGHT AND POST FLIGHT COVID TESTING ETC. IN CANADA AND IN ISRAEL. SAR-EL CANADA TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ENSURING THAT YOU MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS (WHICH ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND MAY NOT BE REFLECTED HERE).
Once you have completed the Sar-El Canada application you will be sent a link by Sar-El Israel where you can pay the mandatory $100USD (Sar-El Israel) Registration fee, submit the Sar-El Israel Waiver and get final approval.
Be sure you receive your final approval from Sar-El Israel BEFORE BOOKING ANY NON-REFUNDABLE AIRFARE, HOTELS, INSURANCE ETC.
Note: The Beit Oded hostel is permanently closed.
First time volunteers:
- Must arrange for a personal interview with the Toronto or Montreal offices or with a regional Sar-El Canada representative.
- Require a letter of reference from a rabbi, another recognized community leader or a former Sar-El Volunteer.
APPLICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO ISRAEL DEFENCE FORCE (IDF) SECURITY CLEARANCE. SAR-EL RESERVES THE RIGHT, AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION,
TO ACCEPT OR NOT ACCEPT ANY APPLICANT.
- Your passport number and other personal information will be sent to Sar-El Israel and shared with the IDF for security clearance.
- Applications must be received at least 6 weeks prior to the start date.
- You must submit a non-refundable $100 CAD ($50 for students) fee to Sar-El Canada by cheque, payable to Sar-El Canada or via Interac email Transfer to email@example.com.
- There will also be a $100 USD registration fee, payable to Sar-El Israel, once your application is approved by Sar-El Canada. This fee is paid online by credit card via a special registration link that will be provided by Sar-El Israel.
- You must apply to, and be approved by, Sar-El Canada before you receive the Sar-El Israel registration link,
- Both the Israeli and Canadian sites will require that you upload some or all of the following scanned documents.
- Make a paper copy of the following documents indicated with an asterisk * to keep with you in Israel.
We recommend that you scan and save the following required documents before beginning the application.
- * A clear copy of the picture page of your passport.
- * The Sar-El medical certificate completed and signed by your doctor and yourself and dated within 6 months of your departure date.
- * Proof of medical travel insurance including Covid medical and quarantine. Trip cancellation and interruption insurance is highly recommended.
- If this is your first time, a letter of recommendation from your rabbi, another recognized community leader or a former Sar-El Canada Volunteer.
- * Proof of full Covid-19 vaccination status (required by Sar-El Canada).
- * Signed Sar-El Israel Waiver and Release.
- If you are not applying on line, you must also provide a signed copy of the Agreement: Terms for participation in the Sar-El Program. (Doc 4)
A passport is required to submit an application but if you only have some of the other required documents you may submit them at a later date through this link.
While we will accept an expired passport for your IDF security clearance you must travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months after your return.
If you require a new passport, please submit your existing (even if expired) passport with your application form and your new passport when you receive it.
If you don’t have a document scanner you may be able to use your smartphone or tablet to photograph and upload the documents. You may also send paper copies (not originals) of the necessary documents to our Montreal or Toronto offices where they can be scanned and uploaded for you. Sar-El Canada makes every effort to safeguard your personal information and we do not recommend sending sensitive information via email.
Be sure to read and understand the Key Planning Tips and Program Dates. You must arrange your own air transport, holiday and weekend (Thursday night to Sunday Morning) accommodations.
Do not make non-refundable reservations until you are assured of acceptance into the program and be sure to leave sufficient time for any required Covid tests prior to your flights to and from Israel. Please check with the relevant authority for these requirements.
Be sure to plan for your arrival in Israel no later than 12 Noon on the start date of your program.
NEW MEETING PLACE:
The old meeting place at Swarovski’s is gone! The current meeting place is near the Erroca Sunglasses counter, Arrivals Hall, terminal 3, ground floor. As you enter the Arrivals Hall from the outside, turn to the left. As you enter the Arrivals Hall after getting your luggage, turn to the right.
The meeting place will be confirmed by Sar-El Israel a week before your program start date.
If you do not see the group when you arrive, please call Johanna:
Programs normally end after work on Thursday. Remember to leave enough time to travel to the airport (and to receive your Covid test results if required) when booking your return flight which should not be before 9PM.
After acceptance into the program, submit your Ben Gurion (Tel Aviv) arrival flight information: airline, flight number, date and time to the Sar-El Canada office.
GENERAL COVID RELATED INFORMATION
This information is rapidly changing. Please consult your airline and the relevant authorities for the most up-to-date requirements and regulations. See the following links for the latest information.
Please be aware that the IDF may have more stringent vaccination requirements for participation than the entry requirements to Israel. Please check with Sar-El Canada to confirm the most recent IDF requirements.
At this time you will be expected to supply and take a Rapid Covid Test Each time you board a bus to the base. Therefor we recommend that you bring 5 rapid tests with you. 1 for each of the 3 busses to the base plus 2 in case you are unwell at any other time. For this reason, you may not leave any personal effects on the base in case you are not able to return after the weekend.
A form called the ”Entry Statement Form” needs to be completed and submitted, and must be completed during the 10 days prior to flying to Israel, boarding a cruise to Israel, or entering a land border crossing to Israel.-see https://www.gov.il/en/service/request-entry-to-israel-covid19.
Once this “entry statement form” is completed you will receive a Green Pass (or equivalent) which will be required to board a flight for Israel.
Be sure to check for the most current entry requirements at the Government of Israel web site. https://corona.health.gov.il/en/abroad/arriving-foreign-nationals/
Returning to Canada
The “ArriveCan” application must be completed online before returning to Canada- see https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/welcome
You are required to have adequate health insurance. Sar-El provides no hospital/medical insurance coverage for volunteers, whether on or off the base. So, if necessary, purchase appropriate additional coverage, since adequate health insurance is essential.
Canadian Medicare coverage, alone, is not adequate.
Medical travel insurance including Covid medical and quarantine is mandatory. Trip cancellation and interruption insurance is highly recommended.
You must have at least a clear, scanned copy of your passport (current or recently expired) to submit an application. Other missing documents or flight information may be submitted later via the second link below.
The following link allows you to submit your application including all available documents:
Use the following link to add any missing documents or flight information after you have submitted your original application: